Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Books

“I have traveled the world twice over, Met the famous: saints and sinners, Poets and artists, kings and queens, Old stars and hopeful beginners, I have been where on one’s been before, Learned secrets from writers and cooks. All with one library ticket” The wonderful world of books- Janice James Janice James might as well have been talking about me. I love reading. I love books. I glow with delight reading a well crafted book. Wordsmiths are my favourite professionals. If you can play around with everyday words and produce a sentence or phrase that is unique, creative and insightful, I will reward you with a satisfied smile. After completing my studies in India, I was very sure of what I wanted to bring back home with me. It was an easy decision for me. When my peers were busy buying clothes and electronic goods, I knew that 60% of my baggage would be the books I had painstakingly collected during my 5 year stay. Books are relatively cheap in India and easily available. Bookshops are plenty and I remember a choice of at least ten different shops serving varying needs at the university gates. I have been a voracious consumer of the written matter and though I don’t find enough time to read as much as I would want, this minor setback does not deter me from hoarding books for another day. I have not read all the books in my library currently, but I hope for some free time in the future. Apart from buying, I find that in my collection of books, I have about five overdue books that were “borrowed for safe keeping” from some of the schools I attended. I don’t know how this habit will impact on my political ambitions in the future? What would my old school think of me if I offered to return the books 17 years late? Does a book’s amnesty exist in the world of libraries? Years after, I completed school, I continue amassing books. I am a member of at least two libraries, a commercial book exchange, member of the Kenya Book Foundation (not sure of their proper title) who sell donated books at a small “contribution”, an honest borrower from friend’s libraries and a happy customer of at least half the book stores in Nairobi. When a while back Nakumatt started the bookstores within their supermarkets, I would spend long hours browsing through the shelves. When the Media Store was opened at the Junction Mall, my first visit saw me spend at least five thousand on books and music. I was exited that Nairobi had such a shop. I have a deep respect for books and people who value them. I don’t mind sharing access to my book shelf with my friends. Even cyber pals. Next week I promise to share with you all the titles in my shelf now. I will sort them out in the following categories:- Religion/Mythology/Spirituality/Ethics/Philosophy Kenya-Geography, Politics, Literature, Travel Communications- Media, Advertising, PR, Radio & TV Fitness/Health/Food India Biographies/Autobiographies & Memoirs Reference books/Dictionary/Thesaurus Business/Economics/Investments Commentary Self-help/DIY Parenting /Family Language & Writing /Plays/Quotations Humour Novels Classics Photography School year books/college catalogues Agriculture It is easy to see my areas of interests.

No comments: