Friday, June 29, 2007

Goodbye to Sugar, Fat, Sodium & Welcome Activity

I recently got to weigh my sorry ass and was shocked by the reading! How could I have added a whole 7 kgs in one year? The last time I was on a self-imposed weigh loss programme, I shed some 3kgs in a period of four months and I was feeling great. In celebration, I let the foot off the pedal and see what happened! Close to 2 years ago, I started on a health regime, which I christened Overcome 2005. It was so beneficial that I deeply regret never following it throug. I was feeling so good that I may have wrongly concluded that no more work was needed. Below I share with you the first and last entries I made into my Overcome Diary. Now that I am back on a new regime, I hope to keep a diary of my progress and share with you. "7th November 2005 I have blamed my environment, my genes, my wife, my bad habits, my sweet tooth and everything else for my weighty condition. However, while busy playing hide and seek with my conscious, I realize I cannot run away from the small voice telling me that my destiny is in my hands and am the only one who can do something about it. When? How? At about 115 kgs, 38 years old and running out of clothes to wear, it’s about time I did something. And guess what? I did something about it, though it was not planned, I found myself nudged towards the dark staircase by a blackout as I reported to work today. My office is on 9th floor and with a two-floor mezzanine; I consider that to be 11 floors. To get through each floor, you have to clear 20 steps and I think I have found a new exercise regime with 220 steps. I have also found a new resolve to take my health and mental well being to the next level upwards. I have been through this road before. I have been on a diet; I have brainstormed with my wife, friends, relatives on my weight. I have watched and observed other people’s health woes. I was diagnosed with stress some 10 years ago. I overcame. I was warned about a borderline blood pressure. I overcame. I know a lot about the dangers of obesity. I know a lot about the dangers of cholesterol. I know enough about hypertension. I know what causes a heart attack. I know what to do to avoid one. I was a heavy smoker for 15 years (about 27,000 cigarettes) and managed to quit 7 months ago. I know something about factors that affect life expectancy in my environment. I know I desire to see my grandchildren. In fact I desire to grow old and be a nuisance to my children. Payback time maybe! I want to attend the 2030 World Cup finals in person and watch the 2042 finals on whatever gadget will be in vogue then. The blackout today was just the trigger I have been waiting for. Maybe it’s more than just a trigger. Maybe I just run out of excuses on why I have done nothing about my weight. Not enough money to join the gym, no time from my demanding job, no time from my demanding social calendar. But guess what, I do get enough time every week to borrow and watch at least 4 movies. I have a never-miss ritual of linking up with the boys every Friday to bar hop and binge till the wee hours. Wednesdays, Saturdays, holidays are a convenient excuse to indulge in my favourite pastime called the tipple. I religiously sit to watch the English Premiership, Formula One, Champions League, Olympics, World Cup Rugby, Cricket, Soccer or whatever is on season. I diligently seat on my desk from eight to five in the name of being a good worker, but observe a high redundancy on health grounds all around me. You get cancer, hypertension, diabetes, etc and they will find an excuse to send you home! I have therefore decided to document sights, sounds, tastes, scents and the feel of my meek effort to overcome a small problem that to me has a grave implication on more than just my life. I will start by logging all the physical exertions I get out of my lazy bones and all the foods I gorge into this miserable sack of a body that I carry! I also hope to create an exercise regime and diet plan that will be within my ability for the rest of my life today. I will share with you my thoughts not as an invitation to “voyeur” my life, laugh at my weakness, pity my efforts, and justify your supremacy over my unlikely predicaments. I invite you to be the silent mirror that sees all and says nothing. I invite you as a guardian angel that gets disgusted at all our follies and rejoices at our redeeming moments without ever passing judgment. Welcome.

Below are some of the loose targets that I set myself on this journey. 36 inch waistline 85 kilogrammes 220 steps in 5 minutes 8 hours sleep everyday- no more no less Create health awareness in the family Learn how to swim- 12 months Learn how to play golf- 3 years Learn how to meditate Learn yoga Walk 10 kilometers every week Fall in love with the outdoors, camp, hike, ride" Know more foods and their benefits to my body

No comments: