Friday, June 29, 2007

Canned Wisdom III

More from my collection of quotations ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ · “Experience is the name man gives to his mistakes”- Oscar Wilde
· “I was born with all the instincts and the senses of primitive man; tempered by the arguments and the restraints of a civilized being”- Guy Maupassant Love · “I know that in writing English I make errors in grammar and my vocabulary is limited. I try to better my diction, improve my syntax and endeavour to turn out a polished sentence which is at once pregnant with meaning and pleasing to the ear. With me English is a passion. No other language gives me quite the same pleasure. I find it more musical and much richer in its literature than any other language of the world ”- Khuswant Singh in We Indians
· “Bernard Shaw was absolutely right when he said that marriage without mutuality is nothing but legalized prostitution”- Vasant Sathe in Times of India
· “The children of today do not obey their elders. What will happen to our society?...The price of grain is so high that people find it difficult to feed their families”. The above quotations are from 4500-year old clay tablets found in Mesopotamia. Who said nothing is permanent?”- Brajendra Singh answering the question why is nothing permanent except change?
· “You can only learn if you listen. And listening is an act of silence; it is only the mind that is not only very quiet, but tremendously active that can learn”- J. Krisnamurti
· “Yesterday is beyond repair. Tomorrow may never come. Today alone is ours. Make the best use of it as it is your sole, sure possession” – Zarathushtra
· “It has always been a mystery to me how men can feel themselves honoured by the humiliation of their fellow beings”-Mahatma Gandhi · “The only people who take life seriously are doctors”- Jared
· “Nobody said life would be fair”- John B

No comments: