Friday, December 22, 2006

E-Wishes

The mobile phone is about 6 years old in Kenya and every new day is a revelation on the profound influence this gadget continues to have over our lives. The days of the traditional Christmas cards may not be exactly numbered, but more Kenyans are complementing them with short, pithy 160-character text messages with newfound dexterity. The year 2004 was my first conscious encounter with these messages and I received some beautiful and meaningful ones that very rightly captured the mood. They came from all over the country and occasionally from overseas. Many were in English, while a few others were in Swahili and a rare one in vernacular. Humorous messages are very common and will cut across religion, nostalgia and the feel-good emotions associated with the holiday season. Last year, I decided not to re-edit or forward any of the numerous text wishes I received, but that did not stop them coming. This year will be different and I will dedicate about a thousand shillings to send out at least 200 electronic wishes to family friends and acquaintances. I will save and share the best with you here.

No comments: