Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Golfing Journey

May 2010 is the month I started playing golf. Today is 20th June and my game is three visits on a golf course old. I have been learning at the Golf Park’s driving range and after five lessons, I thought that I was ready to tackle the course. My tutor told me the best time for a learner is before 8 am when early regular and good golfers start arriving in droves. For my first course opportunity, I was punctual at a few minutes to seven and despite losing ten balls in the course, I had a blast. That gave me confidence to try the Thika course a few weeks later. In between I have been on the Nairobi Royal’s range. During the Thika visit , I did not lose any ball, though its understandable seeing that they don’t have any serious water hazards.

My golfing game is still young and needs lots of improving before I can start chasing the handicaps. I am told that I need to get into a group that can be my regular playing fourball or foursome. I have a few who are on this journey with me and I intend to walk the road with them, but I also want to get opportunity to play with a few friends who have been in the game much longer. My lessons for now are from the range tutors, my caddy, team mates and random strangers. I have also been given a book written by Jack Nicklaus the golfing great that uses simple illustrations to take a learner through the golfing fundamentals. I am also now watching the golfing tournaments on TV more and learning from watching great players in action.

In the course of my short journey in golf, I have learnt a lot and also recognize that lots more are ahead. I have learnt the discipline that is necessary, the learning that I must absorb from my caddy, more advanced golfers and random strangers concerned that my swing is not right. I have also learnt some golfing etiquette that is as necessary as oxygen while on the course.

In the past I could not fathom the commitment and passion displayed by my golfing friends and acquaintances. They could talk for hours on end about golf. Some swear that if you figure out the game, then you will have figured out life. I know one who declares that if you cannot hack in golf, then you cannot make it in life. He has equated the game with life itself. I don’t blame him and I fully understand his passion now that I am on the inside. Golf is full of folklore and jokes. Everyone has anecdotal experiences that can leave you entranced and enthralled through a night. What I find interesting is most golfers’ account of how they started the game. Golf also has a host of rags to riches stories of caddies who rose to be men of importance through the game.

 Since my work takes me around the country a lot, I am hoping to use as many of the 38 course around the country as I can. I have a feeling that I will enjoy the journey immensely. 

No comments: