Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Tuamke Tafadhali

I have taken a few days break from work and I am spending the time on a small mjengo project as well as trying to develop a lawn. Being largely on site, my days are very long, but the nights are shortened by the fact that I am not undergoing very tasking long hours in the day. That is not exiting news. What made my week was the sudden discovery that I can surf on my mobile in the comfort of my backyard (right under the fruit tree!). Thanks to Safaricom's WAP, I am checking on the latest feeds into KBW at least twice in a day. I suddenly dont need to read newspapers or magazines. All this, wireless too! I am still trying to read my emails under the tree to really complete the revolution for me. I know there is alot that has been said about the power that wireless communications can put into our hands. The fact that I can now enjoy banking services, surf the internet, keep in touch online, talk to the world all from one hand held gadget is BIG for me. I am not the tech-savvy type (am contented being behind the steering wheel and away from under the bonnet), but I am alive to the potential that these developments have for our developing country. I dont expect GoK to sit up to THAT potential, but I have faith in our budding ICT industry and SME & Corporate Kenya's ability to harness that potential and help generate some tidy business. This morning I read in one of the papers about the lagging behind in our region in terms of connectivity to the rest of the world. We might be the only part of the world that has not been linked by undersea fibre-optic cable to the rest of the world. We spend time procastinating on whether the multi-nation's EAssy or the private Emirates' initiatives are the best for us; while behind the scenes, we are loosing call centre business to other countries. Tuamke Tafadhali.

No comments: