Tuesday, November 21, 2006

My Kid Cried For Melton

Melton Cephas was eliminated from the Tusker Project Fame contest on Saturday night and in a clip broadcast on Sunday night, the dude cried a river! Between sobs the disconsolate Melton vowed to head straight to a studio to make serious music. His emotional departure was brought to my household by my three year old daughter who could not understand why Melton was sad. On explaining the concept of elimination in her limited vocabulary, she was more bewildered and wanted to know if Melton was a bad person. What did he do? If he said sorry, would he stay? Of course I was a tinge sympathetic as well. I loved his Elvis persona and renditions, but agreed with one of the judges that to be a star, he needed to be himself. Anyway, I got thinking about my daughter’s reaction and wondered if it was all scripted. Is this reality planned? Is it spontaneous? I am not sure, but I know the “beef” between Simon Cowell…oops...I mean between Ian Mbugua and Gaetano is choreographed. The interest and mentions generated by such drama is music to the sponsors and will definitely translate into both higher sales for their products and the desired embedding of the brand in our minds. As pure entertainment, the show is good, but for heaven’s sake keep my baby out of it. Don’t mess with her fragile emotions. Tekelea

No comments: